With a surface area of 181.7 square km, the Concejo (municipality) of Gijon is located in the centre of the Asturian coast in Northern Spain.  It opens up to the sea with a double bay between 43°2’30″ and 43° 34’18“ Northern latitude and 1°52’ 29“ and 2°8’ 0” Western longitude from the Madrid Meridian.  The city is 2000 years old and located 477 kilometres from Madrid (5 h), 384 kilometres from the French border (4h 40 min) and 432 kilometres from the Portuguese border.  It takes three and a quarter hours to get to Bilbao and four and a quarter to get to Santiago de Compostela.  A 2 hours flight separates it from London.

It is the most populated municipality in the Principality of Asturias. About 280,000 people live in its municipal district, 90% of whom live in the city of Gijon, whilst the remaining 10% are spread over the superb rural medium that surrounds it.

Is the city safe?terraza-gijon

One of the safest of the country, with an extremely low accident rate.  One of the attractions of its lively nightlife is that you can enjoy yourself without any problems until very late at night.  Just take the same basic precautions as for any other trip.

What about the weather?

Gijon climate, in the area of Atlantic Spain, can be defined in this sense as being warm, with an average annual temperature of 15 °C and gentle oscillations between the maximum and minimum average annual temperatures.  In summer the average temperature is 19.5 ºC and in winter 9.5 ºC February is usually a cold month with maximum temperatures of 13.8 °C and minimum temperatures of 5.4 °C. It receives 800 to 1000 mm rainfall each year, which is distributed quite evenly, that is, without any very dry periods and also without heavy rain at certain times of the year.



Suggestions: Always bring informal and warm clothes and footwear. If you have the chance during your meeting or event to attend an “espicha” you will be grateful. The Espicha is a festivity in an apple press where the people from Asturias go with informal clothes and solid shoes. The presses are always cool and permanently impregnated with the smell of apples.  Your feet will not get warm until you have drunk sufficient cider and danced to the sound of the bagpipes.



GMT +1


230 V – 50 Hz. Type C plug (two round jacks).


The official currency in Spain is the Euro (€).

Most banks offer the currency exchange service, but without the obligation of providing it. Currency exchange can also be carried out in El Corte Inglés department stores (Customer Care Department) from 10:00 to 22:00 h.

The majority of establishments admit payment with Visa and Mastercard credit cards.



To get to the city from the airport
  • Taxi: €45-60 and 35 min.
  • Bus: €8
To move around Gijón
  • Taxi: €6-8 (average)
  • Bus: €1,25
To go out in downtown

Gijon has a lot restaurants with quality marks (from those with 1 Michelin star to the most popular ones), as well as cafes, bars and pubs.

  • A coffee: €1.20-1.40
  • A set menu: €7.00-24.5 (average €12)
  • À la carte: €18.00-40.00
  • A beer: €2.50
  • A bottle of cider: €2.50-€2.70
  • A drink in a night pub: €5.00-7.00

Get ready for your trip!

Eulogy of the Horizon...

stand inside it and surprise yourself with the sound of the waves

Botanic Gardens...

 and pay a silent visit to part of the Alder Grove.

 Wander around La Laboral...


and be amazed by the dome of the Chapel

 Have a "fabada" (bean stew)...

to get full marks? Order another “with clams”

 Share a few bottles of cider...

on the Cuesta del Cholo as evening falls

Be brave!...

wet your feet in the Bay of Biscay